I spend a lot of time at my desk so I like to be surrounded by pretty little things that make me smile. I'd been meaning to make an inspiration board/noticeboard for my office for quite some time. (I actually got around to it a several weeks ago, but I'm only just getting round to sharing the pics with you now - I thought you could use a break from all the travel posts)
The trick with a noticeboard is to create that jumbled yet pretty finish. Of course, you can do it the organic way but that means you'll have a lot of not-so-pretty cork showing for a while. So you're other option is to fake it and just fill it all up at once. The thing is, that 'I just found this and liked it and pinned it on here' random look actually takes quite a bit of pre-planning. Here's a few tips might help you if you're planning to put one together:
- If you can't find/can't afford or don't want to shell out for a fancy cork board just paint the trim on a regular one.
- Choose magazine cuttings, postcards and pictures in a range of sizes and different finishes, along with some little bits and bobs, like ribbons and stickers.
- Print out some of your favourite quotes or Instagram photos for an even more personal touch.
- It's easier to make it all look cohesive if you stick to a particular range of shades - pale pastels, bright bold colours or even greyscale.
- Once you've collected your materials, lay it all out and test out different arrangements.
- Be sure to layer things over one another for an authentic effect that looks like it was created over several months rather than just a day.
And voila! Instant wall art and a handy place to pin all your future inspirations, memories and notes.